Five Ways To Strengthen Your Mind-Body Connection
Updated: Feb 28, 2021
The mind-body connection represents the way physical health and emotional health are intricately
connected. Our body chemistry affects our emotions, thoughts and feelings. In turn, our emotions, thoughts and feelings affect our physical health. Our ancestors and ancient healers recognized this connection by treating the person as a whole; mind and body.
Emotions, thoughts and beliefs all send cues to the body. Many times, due to the stresses of everyday life, those cues are fight-or-flight in nature. By taking time to calm yourself in either mind &/or body on a regular basis, you can create a more harmonious environment and a stronger, healthier mind-body connection, increasing your body´s natural healing abilities. By being
empowered and taking charge of your own health, you can strengthen the mind-body connection and your immune system.
Here are 5 ways to increase your mind-body connection for better health.
1. Spend time in nature. A walk in the woods or simply sitting peacefully in your own garden, clears and refreshes the mind and increases attention and focus.
2. Breathing exercises. Whole, full breathing exercises stimulate the mind-body connection, and reduce stress. Do this anytime, anywhere. Close your eyes, take a long deep breath, then exhale slowly. Repeat a few times. Do this breathing exercise 2 - 3 times per day. It's that easy. You will soon feel the benefits to your mind and body.
3. Meditation or prayer. Some of the oldest techniques using a specific mental focus, which also result in relaxation. Many find spiritual practices helpful for relaxation and in creating a strong mind-body connection. If you need help starting or strengthening a meditation practice, there are many resources online or contact me or any meditation coach for private instruction to get you started.
4. Progressive muscle relaxation (or yoga or Tai Chi) for deep mind-body connection and relaxation. All involve a combination of controlled body movements, mental focus and patterns of breathing.
5. Reiki & other energy balancing therapies (as well as healing touch and massage therapy) are relaxing and nurturing. In addition, they help balance the physical, mental, emotional & spiritual energies and promote relaxation, a strong sense of well-being and support your natural ability to heal.
These are just a few practical ways you can feel empowered about your own health. By taking time on a regular basis to calm your mind & body, you create a more harmonious environment and a stronger, healthier mind-body connection. This helps you experience deep relaxation, better immune function, diminished pain, better sleep and an increased sense of well-being and peace, which all helps your body´s natural healing abilities. So, BE empowered!